"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, March 07, 2010

It's All In The Balance

Mood: relaxed
Listening to: 'Breathe' by Taylor Swift ft. Colbie Callait
Hungry for: juice

At school, I cop a lot of slack for being the only nerd to own foundation and wear makeup to school.

I really don't see what's wrong with it. Sure, I'm smart and I like getting good grades, but I also pay attention to how I look. After all, no-one wants to be the brainless barbie, or the smartass who looks like Shrek. It's all about the balance.

Most of my classmates fail to see how you can be in this balance - it's like x + y = puppydog or something. But I think academics and looks is important, you know?

I think all women should care to a certain extent about their looks - or at least, if you can't be bothered putting in the effort to look good, try to put in the effort to not look bad. Just the little things, like NO SOCKS WITH SANDLES and BLUE EYESHADOW PINK CHEEKS AND RED LIPS WILL NEVER WORK NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY.

And of course, there are the girls who spend three hours in the morning tonging their hair, two hours painstakingly applying fake eyelashes...all to go to school to receive another stack of F's and a detention for wearing stilettos. How is either of those extremes attractive? Why can't you be the best of both worlds?

I'm a nerd, and proud of it. I also know how to apply eyeliner and do a smashing smokey eye. That's just me. Don't like it? Tough.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

I can see that all right.

Balance
Empathy
Awareness
and Responsibility

are the BARE essentials.

A young friend of mine, Anna Moss, has a lot of fashion ideas, especially the one about the smokey eye. She is also a smart English student.

Taking care of your looks does show empathy for others, awareness of the environment and responsibility for yourself.

(Even if I don't always want to believe it).