"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, March 14, 2010

RED HAIR!!

Mood: meh
Listening to: 'Teardrops on My Guitar' by Taylor Swift
Hungry for:...

I HAVE RED HAIR NOW!!!

Well, not really. Black with red highlights. Still, pretty cool.

I've wanted to get red streaks in my hair for a long time - and it surprises a lot of people. At my school, all Asian girls have the exact same kind of hair - black and long and straight, with blunt ends and choppy bangs. Not that there's anything bad about that, but I want to break out of the mold. I always want to.

I consider my hair my best physical asset. On good days it's thick and soft and silky...on bad days it's dreadful, but then, that's why it's called 'bad hair days'. But it's always been jet black. Jet, boring, black.

There is not much you can do with black hair when it comes to dying and colouring - especially Asian hair, which is known for being pretty much impenetrable and stubborn as hell. You can use bleach to dye it yellow (like, cheese yellow) or a strange kind of brown, or you can use very strong hair dye and dye the whole mop a very dark brown - think Bella Swan in the Twilight movies - but ashier.

The funner, wilder option is streaks - and red is pretty much the only option. But black and red looks striking. Black and red says 'don't mess with me'. Black and red says 'I don't give a shit'. Black and red says 'So what? I'm awesome'. Black and red says 'I refuse to blend in'. Black and red says 'I refuse to bow down to anyone'.

That's what my hair means to me. It's a statement. I am Lady Renegade.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

I wonder if on the weekends you have coloured it blue, green, pink and purple (pink would be a good experiment).

Yes, black and red does say Lady Renegade.