"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Monday, September 19, 2011

Damn You, Plutarch.

Cristy and I read Ancient History. D and E do not. D does not do Lit, either.

Cristy: Have you found your sources yet?

Me: No. You?

Cristy: No.

E: What's this for?

Cristy: I can't find any ancient sources!

Me: I know! I found Suetonius, that's it. Suetonius, Suetonius, Suetonius.

E: WHAT'S THIS FOR?

D: Whuzzgoinon?

Cristy: I found Suetonius and some modern dude.

Me: Which modern dude?

D: What's Suetonius?

E: What about Plutarch?

Cristy: We're not allowed to do Plutarch.

D: What's Plutarch?

Me: I was trying to find Cicero, but all he does is ramble about some other shit.

Cristy: Suetonius was talking about Cicero talking about Caesar.

Me: Helpful.

D: What's Cicero?

Me: I have so much work to do. Have you started your Austen essay yet?

Cristy: No.

D: What's Austen?

Me: Are you doing Marxist or feminist?

Cristy: Marxist.

D: What's MARXIST? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? I THINK YOU CHICKS ARE SPEAKING A FOREIGN LANGAUGE!!!

2 comments:

Belephant said...

Teeheehee :) I'm doing the ancient history thing now, I found Suetonius, Some random modern dude (I STILL don't have his name) and Nicolaus of Damascus (which is fun to say). XD

Adelaide Dupont said...

Ah, very funny!

Good luck with Nicolaus of Damascus. He was the one who wrote the 144-volume history, wasn't he? (And about eight volumes of that survive).

How modern is the modern dude? Would they be post-1700?

Universal history was beginning to be a big genre in the world of the Romans. (thank you for your period help and timeline, Lady Solitaire).

Another person who did this was Paulus Orosius. How reliable is he? He doesn't seem to be a primary source.

A little [flourished 390] before Orosius comes Justin the historian. He is a source in Orosius. I was pretty happy to find some of Justin's works in Latin. Looked at the Prologue.