"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Pluck a Rose, Snap a Lily.

As I lay broken on the ground,
It's hard to see you turn around and
Pluck another rose.

As I grow strong and touch the sky,
It's sad to see you turn around and
Snap another lily.

Will this rose be as sweet to you,
As I was when I was a bud?
Will you love her when she's in full bloom,
Then toss her in the mud?

You saw a lily floating down
A river of tears and laughter;
You picked her up
And without a second glance,
You crushed me in your hand and drowned her.

How quick you are to replace perfection,
How quick you are to regain affection;
You took me in
And bled me dry,
But I'm just another flower for you to kiss goodbye.
For me,
Love is a luxury;
I am a pauper in this land of plenty.

I've yet to replace you, my love:
I'm yet to find a gamekeeper as cruel as you;
I've yet to find a gardener as cold as you.
I'm yet to find a man with fresh blood on his hands.

But as that rose wilts,
This rose, stained scarlet,
Still shines. 
And as that lily dies,
This lily is still white;
This lily, my love,
Remains alive.

For a dear friend,
And a sworn enemy;
I was a fool to pluck my rose too soon,
A fool to snap my lily.

Inspired by 'A Daughter of Eve' by Christina Rossetti

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Wow! I can hear and feel the Rosetti resonance and relevance in Pluck a rose, snap a lily.

The third verse and the second last verse are my favourites.

Made me think of Crimson Petal and the White which is on TV soon (free to air? pay?). That thought came in the last verse.

The first and second lines are well-turned.

When there is so much regret on one side and appears to be almost none on another...