"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, September 16, 2011

I should not be judged by the land I walk on.

I try not to take sides in war. War is unnatural and bloodthirsty and comes between all that is natural: husband and wife, brother and sister, mother and child.

But regardless what side I am on, or what side I am supposed to be on, I weep for the innocent who die in war. It doesn't matter who they are or where they come from; to die blameless is a terrible thing. Wars are battles between countries, not civilians. I mourn the many who perish in the ongoing Afghan/Iraqi War. I mourn the many who lost their lives in 9/11. I mourn those who died not from fighting, but from being in the wrong place at the wrong time; because who knows? I might be next, and I am not some bloody soldier, I am not a murderer; I have the right to die, but I do not deserve to be killed.

We cannot be judged by the colour of our skin or the place we are born into. I for one do not want to be judged by the land I walk on. If I'm Australian, then that is that. But more importantly, I am a woman, I am a person, I am a child. Is that not more important than where I live? Why should I be judged by what my leader chooses to do? We do not choose our leaders; we do not choose our lives. But we can choose how we treat others; with contempt, or with compassion. I prefer to choose the latter.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

I am glad you said "cannot" rather than "should not" in the "judging by the land we walk up".

And, yes, compassion is not only about the innocent. It's about everybody.

It's about our strength - our fragility - our humanity.

Fortunately Australia has a history of being fairly honourable in war - and in peace.

"To die blameless". Those three words will stay. Just as terrible might be to die "without regard".