"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lactivism

Lactivism: the promotion of breastfeeding, and the prevention of discrimination against breastfeeding mothers.

The world has become a sad, sad place. No sex before marriage. Cover up, neck to ankles. Don't breastfeed your children. Men can do what they want, but no, women have to be on their knees praying that a nonexistant God saves them from nonexsitant sin. Etc, etc.

Well, I gotta say, I'm a lactivist, a feminist, and a topfreedomist.

I'm a person; I'm a woman; I'm a teenager. The boy meets girl instinct has thoroughly kicked in. It's sad that, in this day and age, women are not accepted as sexual beings; we are seen as sexy only for the enjoyment of men. Men are allowed to screw around, perv on anything that moves, and we're essentially nuns. I'm a PERSON. I have a BRAIN and NERVE ENDINGS. You do the biology.

I'm a topfreedomist because I believe that breasts have been overly sexualized and that they should be put in their original state; normal parts of the anatomy, and tools for feeding young. It's ridiculous that men and boys can walk around top free and women can't. I want to live in a world where we can wear, or not wear, anything we like; man, woman, child.

There is so much shame surrounding the body, and bodily functions. We keep things - condoms, tampons, breast pumps - hidden, like secret, illicit items that must never ever ever see the light of day. I have periods. Get over it. I have breasts. Get over it. One day, I'll have a baby. Get over it. And when I have a baby, I would like to breastfeed him/her. GET OVER IT. We are afraid of sex and sexuality and the beauty of reproduction, but we've extended that to something as pedestrian as EATING. Do we throw a blanket over ourselves every time we eat a sandwich? Why are we so ashamed, so afraid? I'm not ashamed or afraid of what I can do; I'm not ashamed or afraid of what my body can do.

No comments: