"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Everybody's Gone to War



This is one of my favourite songs: 'Everyone's Gone to War' by Nerina Pallot, which is an anti-war protest song released in 2003 during the early stages of the Iraq War. This is the official music video of the 2006 re-release, where a shopping centre food fight is an anology of the bloodshed of war.

This song is important to me because I am strongly against the notion of war, including the Iraq War. I don't understand the devastating impacts on soldiers and civillians, of families of dead, dying and desperate men, women and children, all for something that has little political meaning and must be funded by innocent blood and innocent lives.

Another, very important line in this song is 'If God's on our side then God is a joker, asleep on the job his children fall over', which really got me thinking about the whole notion of God, and eventually converted me from irreligious to atheist. Because it is true. If there is God, how can he let this happen? If God loves us, how can he let us die? I know my father wouldn't do that to me, his child. So why would God, the supposed Father of Humanity, let humanity die and leave empty, deadly souls behind?

No comments: