"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Kobo, Grade Skipping and Other Things

I have a Kobo!

A Kobo is an ereader slightly larger than an iPhone that you can upload books and documents on - the idea is that you only have to take one ereader with you instead of an entire library. My Kobo can hold up to 1000 books, plus if I had a hardrive I'll have even more space. The Kobo has e-ink technology, which means no backlight...but no headache. Takes a litte while to get used to, but I love my little Kobo.

On to other good news - I have gotten the green light to skip a grade next year, which means I'll be able to move out of my year 9/10 confusion of a timetable and be an official year 11 student - just cut the nonsense. I am taking English, Ancient History, Modern History, Philosophy & Ethics, Political & Legal Studies and Pschology. Just a note: you're wasting you're time telling me the following:
  • Your subjects are weird
  • Why oh why are you taking FOUR SOCIAL SCIENCE CLASSES?
  • YOU'RE NOT DOING MATHS!??? ARE YOU CRAZY!???
Etc.

And 'The Other Thing':

The Australian Republic Movement.

I support the Australian Republic Movement heartily. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the UK or the British monarchy, I'm just saying that it is not reasonable that we should be under, even just in theory, a country that is on the other side of the world. I mean, the monarchy is basically non existant anyways, so we should just cut all the nonsense and become the Republic of Australia. It is time for Australia to move forward and become Australia, the country, not Australia, that place that England conquered with the help of the dinosaurs.

As for the people who say 'if it ain't broke then don't fix it', well, you don't sit around waiting for something to break. The constitutional monarchy is disfunctional, and it is pure luck that it is disfunctional in a non-disruptive way, rather that disfunctional in a civil war-sparking way. Don't you think we're skating on thin ice? I know making Australia a republic is not exactly do or die, but it seems like the sensible thing to do, the responsible thing to do, the right thing to do, the reasonable thing to do.

Don't you agree?

3 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Hooray for being in Year 11 next year.

Congratulations on the mix of subjects.

(And no more scheduled Maths!)

(The social sciences do have a lot of maths, practical maths. But they have a lot of humanity too).

Will respond to your argument about the Australian Republican Movement soon.

You are an expert on many of the monarchies of the world, including Asian and European ones of the past and present.

And yay for the politics, philosophy and ethics.

The constitutional monarchy is a compromise at best. (Canada is a constitutional monarchy too, and they don't seem to have strong republican sentiment).

"A continent for an island and an island for a continent".

Adelaide Dupont said...

What about the Governor-General and/or the State Governor?

One of the models I read about and supported would have them move up to president.

Independent from the judicary and the executive system.

And the whole Head of State/Head of Government confusion.

I see that neither of the major parties are pushing it. It will have to be a groundswell movement from the people.

And a few alliances will have to change.

Adelaide Dupont said...

Another thing about constitutional monarchies.

That form of government tends to work where the country is small (Belgium: this is the only 'popular' constitutional monarchy), or spread out (Malaysia).

They also tend to be more widely supported by the residents when they are involved in improvement efforts (Netherlands; Thailand).

As for Australia, "We'll think about it when the queen dies" seems to be a sentiment [commonly expressed].

A lot of sentiment turned against the monarchy from the 1960s on, but only in 1999 was there a referendum, and for the most minimal form of republic.