"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Makeup.

A lot of people criticize me, as a feminist, for wearing makeup on a regular basis. I think that's kind of unfair.

I mean, wearing makeup is a personal choice. I like makeup, and it's fun experimenting. And I think it's my right to wear whatever I damn want without people accusing me of things that I'm not.

I'm not a skank. I don't wear makeup to get some - that's illegal, I'm only fourteen. I don't wear makeup to impress anybody (doesn't work. trust me.) and I don't (anymore) wear makeup because I feel pressured into it. Makeup is freedom of expression, and because I go to a school with such a strictly enforced, straight-laced uniform, it's my way of being different. It is fun going to school with one eyelid painted purple and the other blue. I like being crazy.

Makeup and feminism is irrelevant. I don't wear makeup for boys, I don't wear makeup to impress boys, my wearing of makeup has nothing whatsoever to do with boys. I mean, trust me, boys hate makeup. They reckon that if you need even a smidge of makeup to make you look like a supermodel (i.e. the ENTIRE FEMALE POPULATION) then you're ugly. That doesn't stop me from wearing it, though.

I think it's wrong to think that just because I'm an intellectual I have to walk around looking like a dag with zip makeup and bogan clothes - which I do, sometimes, when I can't be stuffed - but I'm trying to break away from the stereotype here. I mean, not all sports stars drink Gatorade. Not all academics particularly like going around like dags. Get over it.

So when I go onto all these tutorial sites - I watch makeup tutorials for the hell of it. I can't recreate most of the looks becase a) I'm a schoolkid and my makeup haul is quite small and b) I have the most amazingly bad eyes - and all these guys are like you don't need to try so hard, she looked better without makeup, seriously, don't bother because guys don't like it I just feel like going SHUT THE %^#&%&# UP! GET OVER YOURSELF! WE DON'T DO THIS FOR YOU.

This issue inspired my poem 'Flatter', which is in one of my earlier posts...

KaPow. I'm gona KaZing now.

No comments: