"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, August 22, 2010

My 40 Hour Famine.

So, I finished my 40 Hour Famine today. I raised a whopping %66.40. Thanks a heap for donating shitloads, guys.

I started my famine late, because it was my mum's birthday and I didn't want to miss our family outing to the local Chinese restaurant or a cosy family movie watching Avatar with all four of us and the two stinky dogs crammed onto two beanbags. So at 11:22p.m, I shut down my computer and bunked down on the floor, sandwiched between two sleeping bags.

The next morning I woke up feeling like schmuck and spent most of the day lamenting the loss of my computer, trying to find something vegetarian and edible to eat and trying to find comfortable and bright places to sit and read that didn't involve chairs, sofas, or lights. I almost ate a chip and I nearly used the microwave, but I persevered.

On the second night I gave in and watched a little telly - but only to keep my self up to date with the election. No self respecting politics student would miss this, and I'm not a Friday person, if you understand what I mean. I slept on the floor again, dreaming of tea, coffee and beds.

The third day I spent most of the day drinking my way through thermoses of blueberry cordial and sitting, would you believe it, in the rocks that made the fountain that flowed into the pool (it wasn't on), sitting on two old sofa pillows and reading my way through my small stash of books, all connected by Eric Bana for some reason. At 3:22 I triumphantly turned on my computer and lolled on my bed. I watched a documentary by David Attenborough. I wrote about the election campaign. I botched my way through some health homework. I made some coffee. I'm writing this. I watched some Chaser Boy stuff on YouTube, I had a long bath reading and washing my hair and listening to my iPod, staying so long that the scalding hot water was nearly cool.

That was my famine.

No comments: