"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Gay Marriage

This really makes me sick - the fact that two people cannot be legally married just because they just happen to be born a bit different.

But first, let me set the record straight: I'm not gay. I'm a normal, boy-crazy teenager. I'm straight and proud of the fact.

But if I was gay, and I was in a stage of my life where I wanted to get married, then yeah, I'd be pissed off that some stupid homophobic motherfucking government is so last century that they can't accept something I couldn't change. A marriage is a union between two people, a pledge of love and commitment. Sure, most of the time it's generally between a man and a woman. And although a woman and a woman and a man and a man together may sound odd, we just have to get over it and let people do what they want.

Blaming someone for being gay is like blaming someone for being born Asian or with brown hair or green eyes or something. It's not a choice, or something that you can just switch off like a lightbulb. Love affects us all even if heterosexuality doesn't, and whilst I can understand that homosexuality may creep some people out, it's not like we're forcing you to go up to the nearest person of the same sex as you and rape them or something. The right to marry is a legal right every person, regardless of their sexual orientation, should have.

It is backwards and wrong to punish people for something that they can't help or change - sex, sexuality, appearance, ethnic background, whatever. I can't believe in this day and age, in one of the most modern and wealthy countries in the world, the two major political parties of Australia refuse to grant the gay community the right to have homosexual marriages legally recognised. It is disgusting that in this day and age the gay community are constantly humiliated and stereotyped for something that is, believe it or not, as natural as anything. It is so sad that people see homosexuality as a disease or a crime, when it's not. It's just the way some people are, and we've just got to accept that.

Julia Guillard, a marriage is not limited to a union between a man and a woman. You should be ashamed that you force one of your own senior ministers to say that she is against gay marriage when she is in fact gay herself. Tony Abbott, not only are you a misogynistic motherfucker and chauvinistic idiot, you're now a homophobic bastard as well. It is for good reason I have no respect for Australian politics - you give people, people who are swayed by cruel social taboos, what they want, not what they need.

And what they need, what we need, is freedom and rights for all.

2 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

That would be Penny Wong, the Minister for Climate Change (assuming no reshuffles).

(I actually think Wong is handling this well, for the common good as it were).

"Love affects us all" - you're so right, or the lack thereof, or the memory.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it is Penny Wong.

I know it's unlikely, but it would be so cool if Greens prevailed in this election. I think the Greens are the only political party at the moment that have Australia's best interests at heart, unencumbered by traditional conservative crap, religious bias, the crowd pleasing syndrome or homophobia.