"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Thursday, August 05, 2010

LGBT rights

Something that has got me really pissed off lately is the shocking state of LGBT rights in this world. After all, we should not only fight for our own rights, but for the rights of other people.

Scrolling through a list of countries sorted into 'homosexual acts legal' and 'homosexual acts illegal', many countries only ban men from homosexual acts, but not women.

This may seem sexist, but it does give us a clue as to why homosexuality is illegal.

Religion.

The fact that women are allowed to do whatever they bloody want with their sex lives and men are not link back to many religions that have direct references to homosexual figures and how they manage to do something wrong.

That is sick.

I am not against religion - I don't believe in any particular religion, but I am not against any religion as long as it does not impede basic human rights or the free will of non-involved people. Punishing something that cannot be reformed purely out of religion is ridiculous.

When I was little I honestly thought we lived in a better place than this. It is only now when I read and learn more and more I realize that this world can be so harsh, petty, hypocritical, all in the names of good, of God.

All I'm saying is, religion is a good way to remain spiritual and serene and all of that, but religion is no excuse to abuse fellow human beings or draw swords - or as is the case these days, machine guns. Religion should be a haven, a support system, not an excuse for bloodshed.

No comments: