"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Listen.

Listen.
I know you can hear me,
You just choose to drown me out.
It's my body,
And my life,
So hear me out.

I am so tired of 'has to be',
I am so tired of 'meant to be',
I am so tired of 'that's just how it is.'
Since when have we been so narrow minded?
Since when have we been so opposed to choices?
It's my right,
Because it's my life,
Leave me be.

One day when I'm tall,
And I have lines on my face,
Maybe you'll listen.
Maybe you'll give me the power over others,
A power that is not yours to give.
But I live now,
Before then,
I still have a voice,
I should still have a choice,
Youth is still a part of life.

Don't tell me I don't know what to do,
If it's my life then I can make my own mistakes.
Don't talk about me as if I can't hear you,
Don't understand you,
Don't think I'll just nod blindly and say 'yes'.

I'm sure the Gods gave me a brain for a reason,
It wasn't so you could hijack it.
Who are you to tell me when I can do what?
I'll do what I want,
Nothing you can do about it.

Why is the law against me for this?
Since when have we ignored human rights?
This is a kind of discrimination, you know,
It's no different from black slavery,
Because even though you haven't bruised me,
It's still a form of child cruelty.

I am who I am,
And I don't know who you are,
To tell me what to do,
Because I am,
As you say,
'Too young'.

Listen.
Please.
I'm forced to respect you,
So respect me.

Listen.
Please.
Do you remember what it is to be ignored?

Listen.
Please.
Listen.

Stand up for what is right. Support child and youth rights.

No comments: