"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Succumb.

You know, I consider being vegetarian from the moment I wake up until the moment I see meat on the table.

It's a weakness of mine. I have to succumb to it.

I have so far resisted succumbing to the comforting and controversial bosom of God, and I have so far resisted, with very little effort on my part the teenage urges - sex, drugs and alcohol. I have even resisted the temptation to succumb to social convention and deny myself the opportunity to accelerate my academic program.

I can't succumb to vegetarianism.

I love the idea and I can see clearly the principle behind it, but it's too late - I'm addicted. I cannot think of a good meal that would not include meat. I am affected by the idea I am eating the corpse of something that once had a life, right until I put a piece of roast duck into my mouth. And it is impossible to feel bad after tasting such a thing, that my lust for meat has cost a soul it's life. Actually, I only think of such things after I have eaten a piece of badly prepared meat that I think about it.

It seems hypocritical that I condemn the consumption of whale and dog meat whilst I busily scoff down steaks and sausages. Pigs and cattle are animals too, are they not, not unlike whales or dogs or, indeed, humans. One could say that I have a pet dog and therefore couldn't think of eating one of it's species but I've seen cattle before, I've seen pigs before, I've even touched a very grumpy Highlander cow. But yet I have no qualms in eating it. The fact that animals are farmed for consumption in a very...sustainable manner is no comfort, in fact, it makes me feel worse - these animals were born to die.

I truly admire vegetarians. For me it would be denying me one of my life's greatest joys, in the absence of fame or money or a numerous collection of long luxurious holidays or boyfriends that aren't douchebags. Really, when you're me, meat is a great source of comfort, as is my blog, my mother, and my writing. God knows what I would do without them.

I console myself with the thinking that I, as just one person, will not impact the meat industry that much whether I chose to eat meat or not. They will still slaughter the same number of animals every year, whether I deny myself roast pork or not. It's an unsatisfactory excuse - if all those people who think that voting Greens is 'no use' voted for them, then together we could make a Green Prime Minister. Maybe it would even be Mr Hanna, my politics teacher next year. What a wonderful place this would be if that happened, although I would be desolate without a satisfactory politics teacher, espcially one who didn't have a Bratz pencilcase.

Mr Hanna, incidentally, is also a vegetarian.

No comments: