"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, October 05, 2012

Direction

Now Playing: (couldn't help it, people) What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction (if only you saw what I can see, you'd understand why I want you so desperately)

A lot of people ask me what my blog's about when I give them the url and I just shrug and say 'everything'.

It is really everything, isn't it? Poetry. Angsty teenage rants. Feminism. Sex positivity. Fearless things. Random whimsy.

Etc.

I started my blog to give me voice. I didn't really know what I was going to write about or what kind of audience I would be pitching to. I simply went with gut instinct and wrote what I thought was important - and that has changed over time. I knew - perhaps egotistically - that I would get some kind of attention on the internet. I don't know what was going through my twelve year old mind at the time.

I thought I would be writing largely to my Wikipedia friends, and maybe to one or two school chums who dropped by. I didn't really care who saw my blog, as long as somebody did - and I've been shamelessly promoting it since the first post.

I get bored of writing the same thing too often. There are recurring themes - bits of biography, things I notice in everyday life, my struggles with depression, feminism, sex positivity, gay rights, poetry. But I mix and match.

I don't really have much direction with this blog, but I like that. I like that my readers never know what's going to be published next. My life is planned out with rigid direction and ambition and so it is nice to have my blog where I can run free. My blog has gotten a greater following than I ever dreamed imaginable, and given me more power than I ever thought possible. Through my blog I've made the greatest friends and learned to love myself and others more deeply.

The only direction I have for my blog is that I am a human being, too, and I want my voice to be heard. I hope that's okay.

No comments: