"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Dude, Get the Facts Right!

There's been a lot of coverage about Michael Jackson's death, memorial, legacy, etc lately. But what I've noticed is that the statistics vary from newsroom to newsroom.

I have six channels on my TV - I know, in Asia and probably America there are probably millions of channels, but people here who don't have Foxtel (which is like cable) only have between four to seven channels. I have ABC 1, ABC 2, SBS, One HD, Seven and Nine. Out of those six channels, four of them have daily news.

And each one of them told a different story.

Some said that there were 20,000 fans that were allowed to sit in the Staples Centre or whatever it's called for Michael Jackson's memorial.

Others said 18,000.
Or 17,000.
Or 19,000.
Or 17,500
Or 22,000.

The list goes on.

I mean, can't they get it right? It's just a statistic, for crying out loud. I can see how words can morph, eg:

a little bit
a bit
some
lots
a vast amount

but seriously, how can a number morph so many times!?

I dunno. It's kinda funny.

Another thing. CelebrityFix has been stuck on the same bulletin for two days now: the one where Kristen Stewart complains she's getting hate mail from Robert Pattinson's fans about how she might be up the duff wit his baby. Two days, dammit, with no fresh goss. And NO-ONE'S COMMENTING, AND NO-ONE'S SENDING EMAILS!!! GAAAHHHH!!!

It's very easy to feel prehistoric and isolated here, in the most isolated capital city in the world.

1 comment:

C.S said...

why isn't SIOH being used?