"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, July 10, 2009

Life sucks sometimes...

I don't get it. All mathematicians have to do is be good at maths. They can be great even if people don't like, or get, the work that they do.

So why do writers have to be people-pleasers? I could be the best writer in the universe and I could be a penniless unemployed if no-one likes the topics I write on.

And I'm not stupid - after thirteen years of being me, I know I'm not a people-pleaser. I have people who hate my guts and teachers who seem to be born to raise hell. I am no stranger to enemies. I get that.

If I were a mathematician or scientist, that wouldn't be a problem. I'd just pi my way to the top.

But I'm not a mathematician. I'm me.

And if the world doesn't like that, I can't just say 'who gives a shit' anymore. My life depends on what people think. It's all I have.

No comments: