"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Those Dramas.

I love Korean dramas. I think they're much better than Aussie ones - seriously. But there's always this part that bugs me.

There's always three characters in this scenario - the guy, the girl that he likes that no-one else likes, and the other girl they want him to go out with but she's a complete bitch.

And it's always the parents and grandparents that are bugging this poor guy to go out with the second girl, and eventually, one of the three commits suicide.

I mean, what business is it of the gramps who he dates? I have great respect for the elderly - but seriously, their time has come and gone, and although age may be wisdom, some of them are seriously behind the time and all their good intentions go the wrong way. And who cares if, once in a blue moon, the guy makes a mistake? Divorce isn't so hard these days.

The older generations think that they know everything about love, because they've 'been there, done that' so to speak, but times change rapidly these days. And it's always a point in these Korean dramas. And, somehow, the older generation never feels sorry for interfering with these kind of things. Even at the poor guy's funeral they'd be like 'How I wish he'd married that girl we all like.'

Sigh. So cliche.

So real.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just as a correction, divorce is meant to be very embarrasing in Korea. One of my aunties got divorced and she'd been telling us that he was working in another country.
CS