"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Can of Worms #5

Worm #11: Should you tell your teenager that some people take drugs because they enjoy them?
The long and short of it: Yes.

My say: All too often adults make the classic mistake of assumming that teenagers are dumb and irresponsible. We should tell teenagers that some people take drugs because they enjoy them because the truth is, some people take drugs because they enjoy them. It isn't necessarily going to make teenagers snort the first bit of myseterious white powder they see - I mean, I'm fully aware that people have sex because it's enjoyable, but that's not going to make me run around naked screaming 'FUCK ME!' (unless I was really, really drunk). Most of the trouble teenagers get into is because of misunderstandings and half-truths conveyed from parents to their children, in the name of modesty/decency/privacy/whatever you can think of that's coming between you and being a good parent. I mean, teenagers are hardly going to believe you if you say that taking drugs causes pain or discomfort or whatever - everyone knows people take drugs to get high. Seriously.

Worm #12: Do we hero-worship our sports stars too much?
The long and short of it: Yes.


My say: I'm a big believer in the idea that we all have our own talents and we all have the right to go as far as we want to go, but we do idolize sportsmen far too much. I mean, they get honours that heart surgeons and people who discover cures for incureable diseases barely get. I grew up in a heavily sports-oriented environment where day in, day out, all the sporty kids were doled out medals and certificates and trophies, and all I could think of was 'what about me?'. We all have equal talents; we all should get equal rewards.

No comments: