"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The religion of dating politics.

I've always been considered a 'good' girl in that, at the ripe old age of fifteen, I don't dabble in the big bad worlds of drugs, sex and alcohol. There are a good many reasons for that - firstly because even if I considered myself old enough for the latter two of three, I am certainly not old enough for the consequences, but mostly because it's stupid and I'm lazy :)

I think many people are terrified that if they break away from their religion they'll just fall away to the dark side - like you can be Jedi or Sith but not neither (soz for the bad anology). Most people assume that most atheists are cheerfully amoral or immoral and genuinely couldn't give a fuck. I'll tell you, here and now, that that is not true. But instead of considering my actions responsible to God, I consider my actions responsible to myself and the ones I love. Have I let myself down? Have I let my family and friends down? How do I fix this so I can feel better about myself? Egotistical, maybe, but it's still a very spiritual way to make sure you don't fall down the slippery slope to sin.

A very long time ago I was talking with the school chaplain about how many boys my age are so completely unsuitable as peers, as friends, as boyfriends and as future husbands and fathers (or something like that).I t's an often laughed-upon fact, but I have this hypothesis that most women in early adolescence goes through this brief period of freaking out because future husband material is not acting like future husband material. Call it maternal instict, if you will. Now, you might think that's a hopeless stereotype, but I was thirteen and had just been dumped, and it seemed like all his friends thought it was the most hilarious thing to happen since that Indian chick showed up with unshaven legs. In fact, now that I think about it, most of the 'good boys' I have known have been religious to the point of irritation.

My views of boys and religion have changed and matured, but the basis is still true: religion keeps people grounded to the basic principles of respect, honesty, humility and compassion, especially in people who may not have the inner strength (or common sense) to regulate their own behaviour for the benefit of themselves and for others, no God involved. Is it so hard to find someone as young as me who can be good and see good in others without God? It is possible - I feel no more vulnerable to human weaknesses than the next (Christian) man. Find me a good atheist husband, and I'll die a happy woman :)



No comments: