"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, August 14, 2011

I am not unsaved.

Since establishing my personal religious beliefs about a year or so ago, I have done my utmost to maintain a level of respect and courtesy towards people of all faiths, and to teach and inspire people to do the same. But you know what I can't stand?

When Christians call me 'unsaved'.

I am not unsaved, in fact, I believe I am a better person because I am an atheist. Everything that I have ever done or made for myself, everything that I have ever suffered from but pulled through, has been through the pure strength, courage and perseverence of my parents and I. I have endured a congenital heart condition and depression, as well as all the other lovely things that come with being a person and a woman, without the help of God, and I'm a stronger person because of it. Everything I do, I do for myself, the ones I love or the community. Despite not believing in God, I constantly endeavour to improve myself, to maintain my integrity, and to make myself a better person, a better woman and a better feminist. Lately I have taken to learning other beliefs and perspectives, the better to learn from them and to respect them.So don't call me unsaved because you can't see beyond a book.

Respecting someone isn't always about agreeing with everything they do, think or say. I know that the majority of people are not like me: feminist, atheist and academic. It's about respecting that every single person has the right and the responsibility to choose whatever it is that is best for them, and about respecting your own right to do the same. It's about putting aside differences; it's about agreeing to disagree. Harmony, in a diverse and beautifully imperfect world.

Everyone has their own way of doing things. I believe that I am a better person because I am an atheist. If you believe that you are a better person because you are a Christian, or whatever religion, then fine. It's your life. But I don't call you 'deluded', even though sometimes in moments of frustration (that I later apologise for) I feel that way; so don't call me 'unsaved'. It's weak and offensive and narrowminded. I refuse to believe I am unsaved, because what have I to be saved from? We are not all born sinners, we are all born pure and whole. It is this world, or rather, the world we create to cage and poison each other, that corrupts us.

No comments: