"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Warming Winter Drink.

To be honest, I don't really know what to call it. At the moment I'm calling The Drink to Replace The Random Powdery Thing In My Pantry - No It Isn't Crack Thank You. It's great when you're cold, hot milk isn't really cutting it and you're kinda hungry but too lazy to make a proper midnight snack. You will need:
  • 1-3 dessert/tablespoons quick-cook rolled oats (depending on how hungry you are. I was quite peckish and two heapedish dessert spoons was good)
  • 1 teaspoon Horlicks powder (you could use hot chocolate - I haven't tried it. I might, eventually. But I got bored of the normal Horlicks and all the lumpy bumpiness associated with normal Horlicks so my Horlicks was getting a bit neglected)
  • 1 teaspoon honey or sugar (I use brown sugar. It's not as sweet and has a nice taste.)
  • 1 mug milk
  • 1 small saucepan
  • Big spoon, to stir,
  • Small spoon, to eat/drink
I've tried the whole spiced milk thing, but to be honest, powdered cassia cinammon and nutmeg does absolutely nothing to milk except make it a bit sandy. So I gave up on that :)

Method: dunk ingredients into saucepan and stir until milk is overboiling and is about to spill onto the stove. It is an art, seriously - no seriously, when milk gets all frothy and overboiled it's actually really nice :). Pour into mug (this takes skill - or maybe it's just me) and eat/drink. And voila! Hunger gone with...probably twice the calories as a muesli bar, but never mind.

UPDATE: I have now (finally) realized that this drink is a much more reasonable alternative to a big bowl of oatmeal that I studiously plod through every now and again, given my size and age. I only need two teaspoons of oats, not half a cup. My dad, on the other and, eats about a bucketload every day, especially in the colder weather. 

No comments: