"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Monday, August 01, 2011

Can of Worms #4

Okay, so there was a stuff up on the Can of Worms website so there is only one worm today. But it's a goodie.

Worm #10: Is marriage necessary anymore?
The long and short of it: Yes.

My say: A lot of people assume that because of my religious beliefs (or distinct lack thereof) that I do not intend to get married. That's not true. I want a big white wedding and I want to walk down the aisle to 'Teenage Dream' by Katy Perry and I want my groom to be a hot sexy Oxford graduate Ralf Laurent model...but that's another story.

To me, a marriage is an opportunity to publicly acknowledge eternal love and lifelong commitment, and whilst I support de facto relationships I think that any couple that plans a long-term relationship that isn't prepared to go public with it has serious issues. If you're lucky enough to have boy meets girl and you haven't burned your house to the ground, then why not? So, marriage is still necessary even if Australia progresses in a secular direction as I hope it will, and it is everyone's right regardless of anything to have the right to say 'I do'.

No comments: