"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Can of Worms #6

Worm #13: It's legal for a 17-year-old to sleep with someone in their 40s, but is it OK?
The long and short of it: Yes.

My say: I am a firm believer that it is nobody's business as to who sleeps with who. I consider a seventeen year old perfectly capable of being sexually attracted to somebody in their 40s (I mean, Adam Hills. Please.)and to be honest, I was hurt a lot more by teenagers than I ever would be by someone older. What is age? Age is just a number, and at the age of sixteen one has the right to do whatever they want with whoever they want. Pseudo-paedophilia may not be everyone's cup of tea. But it's everyone's right.

Worm #14: If your kid is being physically bullied, do you tell them to hit back?
The long and short of it: Yes.  

My say: This is a difficult one, but I'm going to have to say yes, but 'hit back' can be interpreted in a variety of ways. I was a dobber, growing up, especially at the age where children are too frightened to openly defy a teacher. Later, I was a crier - bursting into tears was a pretty effective way of stopping the hits, although it might not work so well for boys; such a sad reflection on society. Later I would post everything on my blog, and as my readership grew it also proved to be a pretty big deterrent, but I have kicked a few people in the shins in my time - an eye for an eye. I don't think that you should teach your children to ignite WWIII, but the occasional, unexpected punch in self defence, especially if there are no adults bothering to interfere (you can't rely on teachers too much, you know) is healthy. Teach your child not to be a punchbag, but maybe not a sleeping dragon, either.

If you have any worms to suggest, please comment and I'll write my views on them.  

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

A worm for you Lady Solitaire:

Should Western governments do more to prevent famines and food insecurity in their less developed brethren, as opposed to reacting to the situation when deaths are well advanced and the government is unstable?

A second worm could be about:

Does pop culture and new media demean the traditional practices of journalism?