"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, July 20, 2012

No Poo Update: I haven't cheated, right?

Now Playing: Sparks Fly by Taylor Swift (it's just wrong enough to make it feel right)

I washed my hair.

With bubbles.

I didn't spend ages slaving away in the kitchen making a potion.

But I haven't cheated!!!

No-poo has been getting on my nerves lately. I don't think my hair loss has gotten any worse, but it hasn't really improved.

And then there was a vicious cycle. Bicarb soda gets your hair squeaky clean, but leaves funny waxy grey residue, which is no fun, but you can get rid of it with honey, but (raw organic) honey is suuper expensive and only works in conjunction with sugar, which I keep running out of, or apple sauce, but apple sauce has an annoying - and gross- tendancy of going mouldy (I swear, nobody else worries about their shampoo going mouldy)...

Not to mention, hair changes. It isn't static. It's not like washing a wig - you get it right and it stays right. What gave me brilliantly glossy, clean locks one week made me look like Bob Marley the next week. Not to mention, whilst all this stuff is very fun, it's also very messy and time consuming. 

No poo is very simple and frugal if your hair is happy with just bicarb/ACV. It is not particularly simple or frugal when your hair chucks a tantrum on a regular basis.

Last night I realized that the bicarb residue had come back, and the very thought of apple sauce and sugar and honey made me cringe. THERE HAD TO BE AN EASIER WAYYYYY. Not to mention...I miss bubbles. 

Then I remembered, randomly, out of the blue, that you can wash your hair with castile soap. And you can get castile soap...at the markets.

At Fremantle Markets there is a stall called Corrynne's, which sells clays, old fashioned cold-pressed soap and natural body products from a soap factory in Dunsborough. I haven't bought anything from there in a while but I love their passion for wholesome, organic bodycare and their diligent soap manufacturing process which involves no harsh chemicals, and how they diligently source their natural oils, essential oils, clays and herbal extracts. You can smell the stall from a mile away because the soaps all smell AMAZING.

And so I bought two Shampoo Bars, which is a castile soap bar made out of coconut milk, olive oil, castor oil, lye, green French clay, oatmeal, rosemary, lemongrass and mandarin and lime essential oils. It smells heavenly and two washes got rid of the bicarb residue and made my hair squeaky clean. I followed that up with my usual 1/4 cup ACV in 400mls warm water with 3 drops tea tree oil.

Why castile soap? It's all natural - no nasty chemicals. It has a really thick, rich lather, smells amazing, and is good for you. It's also relatively cheap, especially compared to 'natural' shampoos which are sulfate/paraben free - $5 a bar, and a bar lasts much longer than liquid shampoo. 

Soft, clean hair. 

Soo...that is now my current hair routine ;). Castile soap, I love you.

No comments: