"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

And it's guys like that that keep the fire alive.

If you haven't figured out I'm a Taylor Swift fan then you are an idiot.

Sorry.

But seriously, if you didn't pick it up, please go see a doctor.

Part of the reason why I'm a Taylor Swift fan because when I listen to songs, being the writaholic I am, I look at lyrics. How are they written? Do they 'flow'? Do they match the music? And, most importantly, can I relate to them?

Yes seems to be the answer, for the most part. Here is a very long sample on how Taylor Swift has helped me get through the tears and trials of life:
  • Teardrops on My Guitar (he's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar/the only one who's got enough of me to break my heart/he's the song in the car I keep singing/don't know why I do) 
  • Picture to Burn (state the obvious/I didn't get my perfect fantasy/I realize you love yourself more than you could ever love me), 
  • A Place in this World (I'm alone/on my own/and that's all I know/I'll be strong/I'll be wrong/Oh, but life goes on/Oh, I'm just a girl/Trying to find a place in this world) 
  • Cold as You (And I start a fight cause I need to feel something/And you do what you want 'cause I'm not what you wanted...And you walk away with a great little story of a mess of a dreamer with the nerve to adore you) 
  • White Horse (I'm not your princess/this ain't a fairytale/I'm gonna find someone some day who might actually treat me well) 
  • You Belong With Me (I know your favourite songs/and you tell me 'bout your dreams/think I know where you belong/think I know it's with me) 
  • Breathe (I can't breathe without you/but I have to) 
  • You're Not Sorry (looking so innocent/I might believe you if I didn't know/Could've loved you all my life, baby/if you hadn't left me waiting out in the cold)
  • Forever & Always (see I was there when you said forever and always/you didn't mean it baby/you said forever and always)
  • Change (these things will change/I can see it now/these walls that they put up to hold us back will fall down)
  • I'd Lie (and I can tell you his favourite colour's green/he likes to argue/born on the seventeenth/his sister's beautiful/he has his father's eyes/and if you asked me if I loved him/I'd lie)
  • Sparks Fly (I could wait patiently but I really wish you would/drop everything now/meet me in the pouring rain/kiss me on the sidewalk/take away the pain)
  • Dear John (dear John/I see it all now that you're gone/don't you think thirteen's too young to be played by your dark twisted games/when I loved you so/I should've known)
  • Mean (someday I'll be living in a big old city/and all you're ever gonna be is mean/some day I'll be big enough so you can't hit me/and all you're ever gonna be is mean/why you gotta be so mean?)
  • The Story of Us (I'd tell you I miss you/but I don't know how/and I've never heard silence quite this loud)
  • Never Grow Up (oh, honey don't you ever grow up/don't you ever grow up/just stay this little/oh, honey don't you ever grow up/don't you ever grow up/it could stay this simple)
  • Enchanted (please don't be in love with someone else/please don't have somebody waiting on you)
  • Better than Revenge (she came along/got him along/and let's hear the applause/she took him faster than you could say 'sabotage')
  • Haunted (come on, come on/don't leave me like this/I thought I had you figured out/can't breathe whenever you're gone/can't turn back now/I'm haunted)
  • Last Kiss (all I know is I don't know how to be something you miss) 
  • If This Was A Movie (Last night I heard my own heart beating/sounding like footsteps on my floor/six months gone and I'm still waiting/even though I know you're not there)
And the list goes on. Yes, that is how much I pull apart lyrics. This is why I am a good English student.

But the reason why I am writing this post is that within this song there is a small proof that there are boys out there who aren't cheaters or losers or douchebags or taken or heartbreakers or unparticular about hygiene. There are Mr Darcys out there, even if they are only celebrities who like pretty people. They're still out there.

Enchanted, one of the tracks on Taylor Swift's album 'Speak Now', is written about her meeting Adam Young of Owl City. On Valentine's Day, he posted this on his site:

Dear Taylor
by Adam Young

One blustery evening last October, I waited impatiently until the clock tolled midnight and then promptly bought Taylor Swift’s new record on iTunes. I played it in the kitchen, I played it in the car, I played it at the studio, I played it on flights to Japan and back; I just couldn’t keep away from it. Speak Now was the indisputable leader of my “top 5″ record list of 2010, which is slightly ironic because the other four albums were abstract experimental/post-rock/ambient works.

I always love decoding the sneaky secret messages hidden in Taylor’s written lyrics, so naturally the day Speak Now came out, I played the whole thing from top to bottom as I added up the capital letters per each song’s set of lyrics.

As track 8 came to a close and the album switched over to track 9 (a breathtaking song called Enchanted and one of my favorites on the entire record), something began to feel curiously “familiar.”

I couldn’t put my finger on it. Why did the song feel so personal? Why was it ringing a bell? Perhaps it was merely the word “wonderstruck” that indeed struck a sweet chord, but before the second chorus hit, I’d already added up the letters:

A-D-A

And then it hit me like a freight train. I didn’t even need to find that last letter “M.” A colorful swirl of memories flashed before my eyes as it all added up. My jaw hit the floor.

The track is absolutely gorgeous and I’m so tremendously honored that Taylor would write such an elegant song and thereby offer a gracious nod in my direction. Needless to say, I was lost for words and utterly smitten. I couldn’t stop smiling.

I figured such an eloquent gesture should be reciprocated by the most polite, heartfelt and respectful response I could possibly muster. It’s no secret that I’m a bit shy, so naturally music was the most articulate way of attempting such a sincere endeavor. How does one respond to such a personal outpouring of emotion and sentiment? I tossed and turned over that one.

They say “timing is everything” and that brings us to now. Today is Valentine’s Day.
And thus, here is my reply…

Listen to the song here:
http://owlcitymusic.com/vday

Dearest Taylor,

I’ll be the first to admit I’m a rather shy boy and since music is the most eloquent form of communication I can muster, I decided to record something for you — as sort of a “reply” to the breathtaking song on your current record. This is what I wanted so badly to tell you in person but could never quite put into words:

Everything about you is beautiful. You’re an immensely charming girl with a wonderful heart and more grace and elegance than I know how to describe. You are a true princess from a dreamy fairy tale; a modern Cinderella. I’m terribly sorry it’s taken me such a long time to reply but I figured Valentine’s Day was the perfect time to write this note to you and simply say… I was enchanted to meet you too.

Love,
Adam


Complete with a link to a cover of 'Enchanted', done in true experimental rock/techno style that is Owl City (Fireflies).

It is every girl's dream that a guy will write a song for you, but it's every writer's dream that every song, every poem and every story you've written about that special someone is appreciated. A tall order, but hey, I have to make up for being a measly 5'2" somehow :P

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Oh wow.

Will listen to Adam's song directly.

Yes, breaking up lyrics does make you a good English student.

What a great Valentine letter.

And the moment of liminiality and familiarity.

"It was enchanting to meet you"...