"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Prize

He ran a few short yards of brown green grass.
He wasn't

Running for his life, but for a prize.
His prize

Was that blue ribbon I wanted.
What use

Is a blue ribbon to a boy who ran a few short yards of
Brown green grass?

She plucked a few hairs off her face
Covered with

Colours of all unnatural kinds.
I don't

Know what she looks like, really
But

That's the point.
Her prize

Was that boy I wanted.
What use

Is a boy to a girl who doesn't even know
What she looks like?

My consolation for running with that boy
Across those

Few short yards of brown green grass is a
Sticker

An unsatisfactory piece of paper.
My consolation

For trying to be that girl is watching her
And her boy

Kiss when they say that they think that
No-one is

Looking but they both know that we all
Are.

My prize
In this race of speed and this

Contest of beauty is a locker on the top floor.
Blue, like the

Ribbon.
Blue, like the eyes of the

Boy.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

The tension in this poem.

And the blue!

Great to see you're experimenting with breaks and syllables.

(Why was the grass brown and green? Was it muddy, like the start of the athletic season does tend to be?)