"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Gate To Paradise

This is a poem from a couple of years ago, when I was about thirteen, as part of my work with the Red Room Company's 'Sea Things' poetry project. For more information see here.

I lost this work a little while ago, somewhere between USBs, my home computer and the school's complex and largely malfunctional computer system. But I found it on the Red Room Company's flickr stream, incorrectly labelled, but my childish labour of love nonetheless. So here it is, as I sent it, edited heavily by my scrupulous teacher (hence the many semi-colons). I have removed some slightly strangely-placed commas.

Gate to Paradise:

I'm eager to leave civilization behind,
The highway I must cross is a cruel reminder of what we have done to this world;
And what the world has done to me. 
I race down the glistening sand path,
The sand glittering like crushed diamonds. 

I can sense myself getting closer to paradise,
The world's own version of nirvana;
Because with every step,
The air gets fresher,
Cleaner;
And tears turn into smiles. 

The fierce sea wind blows away my pain,
The cool water soothes my fiery anger,
And it is here,
Alone on the beach,
Just me, the sun and the sea;
I feel at peace. 

The beach is a land of goddesses,
The glorious sun,
The magnificent sea.
I am nothing compared to this glorious magnificence,
This magnificent glory;
But I don't mind.

The sea seems to be above such trifle things
Such as love, or hate, or guilt.
It loves unconditionally,
It kills indiscriminately,
And each wave remembers centuries of happiness and pain.

I don't want to walk back
To civilization,
To society;
Where rules impose an endless sea of pain,
Frustration,
Emptiness.
But as the sun goes down,
And the sea turns black,
I walk back into the game of life,
Where everyone plays until the bitter end. 

by L.R. edited by M.H.

So what do you think? How does it compare to the poems I compose now? It's a little snapshot of the past - fascinating, isn't it? Many things have changed since I wrote this poem, but many things stay the same - the tide comes in, comes out, the waves crash, and the beach continues to amaze and terrify me. 

I remember writing this vividly; being completely stuck, as I spend very little time around the beach compared to many Australians. Then we went to the beach, as a family, which for us is just down the road and across a horrendously busy highway - and I walked up the path of crushed diamonds (I tastefully ommited the piles of doggy doo that were on this crushed diamond corridor) and then to the wild and beautiful sea, all but abandoned, with the fiery sun scorching the sky a beautiful rosy hue before sinking gracefully into the mighty expanse of the sea. It was truly magnificent. The moment I got home and brushed the sand off my legs I wrote the poem, pretty much as is. Impulse writing is my speciality, and indeed, a poem written in the heat of the moment helped me gain entrance to my school.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

I say it compares very well (to some of your current work)!

I especially love verses 4 (it was especially meaningful because you have talked about your relationship with the beach before you got into your present school in a blog at the start of the year), 5 and 6.

The pairing, the parallels.

Isn't Flickr great?

The stuckness and the impulsivity.

There is a great story called First term at Trebizon where Rebecca Mason, the protagonist, taps through her homesickness and writes this poem on the beach. She throws it away and an older student finds it along with an icecream wrapper. And treats it that way.

Probably my own only criticism is the modal verbs like "can" and "must". They might make those parts of the poem weak without grounding it.

Your editor/teacher had a great sense of poetic punctuation!

The paradise/nirvana being connected with the air. What a sentiment.

The prose seems to back up the glory and the magnificience as well.

"the wild and beautiful sea, all but abandoned, with the fiery sun scorching the sky a beautiful rosy hue before sinking gracefully into the mighty expanse of the sea. It was truly magnificent. The moment I got home and brushed the sand off my legs I wrote the poem, pretty much as is."

And verse 3 is a quiet treasure. If I wanted to point people to "Gate of Paradise", I would probably show them that verse.

(Now that you have the "poems' tag/label on your work, it's easier to see your poetic development as reflected on this blog).