"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, February 25, 2011

Needed: A Francophone.

I need a Francophone.

I'm embarking on a rather interesting experiment called 'Lost in Translation'. I want to write a story based purely on the correspondance of an Australian girl and a French boy by email, but as neither speaks the other language, they have to rely on the bad translations of the internet. Each letter is written in three different versions: the original, the translation into the other language, and the literal translation back into the original language.


I would be asking a lot of this Francophone. Basically, they would need to:

1. Receive my emailed letter, which will be written in English in character as Jane.
2. Use babelfish to translate the letter into French.
3. From this translation, translate it word-for-word back into English
4. Respond to my translated letter in French in character as Jacques.
5. Translate your letter word-for-word into English. 

I'll be Jane. Will you be my Jacques?

So. Wanted: a Francophone.

Bonne Chance to me.

No comments: