"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sorted.

I'm far from reliable, but I like the reliable things in life. I hate it, for example, when one of my teachers skivs off and we get some substitute who hasn't the faintest idea what they're doing. It's a waste of my time.

And I'm a food girl. I like good, hot, comforting, reliable food.

If I had as good a relationship with a man as I had with, I don't know, my favourite pasta or dim sum, I would be a very happy woman indeed. There's something comforting about the fact that no matter how bad school (and school lunches) get, there'll be a dinner that isn't disgusting/expensive/served in a foil bowl with plastic sporks/designed to kill waiting for me at home.

There's something really delish about home-cooked food. I'm still a ramen girl, but I'm not really a huge fan of junk food, with the exception of my early teen ice cream binges. I don't really like lollies or chocolate, and I'll only eat doughnuts if they're really good, which they're not, here in medieval Perth. Really, my only junk food weakness is ramen.

I am strongly against people, especially children, eating junk food on a regular basis as a substitute for proper meals. The occasional after-school french fry fix isn't so bad, but junk food for dinner five nights a week is appalling. Dinner, at the very least, should be home-cooked or from a decent restaurant. Take out, fast food and food stalls are often unhygienic and unhealthy.

It's really not that hard to produce decent grub on a daily basis. Proof: sorted food. This is the brit hub for good, fast, healthy food. I don't actually cook myself, with the exceptions of the standard pathetic schoolgirl's cooking knowledge (instant noodles, porridge, tea, coffee, french toast, normal toast and jaffles) although I do bake occasionally during the holidays, but seriously, this stuff (and the chef) got my mouth watering. Good food garnished with hot chef, sorted.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

There are only so many ways you can treat a slice of bread, especially where schoolgirl staples are concerned.

My own favourite cooking website/series of videos is Nicko's Kitchen, which I've been looking at for the past year and so.

I especially love "What you want Wednesday".

Sorted seems like a good website. Very Web 2 in its style.

And isn't it great to feel sorted and reliable or relied upon?

The one thing which might be worse than a foil bowl is a polystyrene bowl. Noisy and bad for the environment.

And the doughnuts are often not that much better on the east coast, with the rare exception of a doughnut van (in the style of an icecream van).

Thanks for the point about food stalls. I often find the smell overwhelming. And it will be festival season, so an important thing to keep in mind.

(You are BYOing at a festival. What quick and sensible snack/meal do you prepare and bring?)

And what do you think of nuts as a snack? They are only sometimes hot, as in roasted. A few people close to me quite like them, in Christmas jars, and randomly throughout the year.