"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Monday, February 07, 2011

men's rights.

It may seem strange, but I am a feminist and a men's right activist.

You see, much of my hatred towards the male sex is focused at a somewhat small (or, at least, not the majority) percentage of the sex, the ones I am most often faced with. If you had to go to school and attempt to date the boys I know, then believe me, it would be very easy to turn into the man-hater I appear to be.

When I go on my anti-male rants, you must understand that some things some certain boys have done has really hurt me to the core. I am racked by anger that someone could even contemplate doing things that they do, and that they don't even care, don't feel guilty, or obliged to say sorry. I am racked by shame, too, that I fell for those farked up bastards. It is natural to feel bitter, hate the whole sex, when one is a woman of my age, increasingly frustrated by the failings of the much ballyhooed state of love, and the disappointing mindsets of the men that supposedly come with the nirvana of romance. Feminist or no, it is every little girl's dream to fall in love, have a big white wedding and a husband who you're s'posed to live 'happily ever after' with. Even when you get older and your dreams and expectations get a bit more realistic, all you get are unsympathetic dumpings online, blantant cold rejections to your face, and endless rumours routinely calling you a slut, then a frigid bitch, a man-hating feminist and then back to a slut again. When one is called a whore so often by society you imagine that there are a lot of men behind that, and you hate them too.

but I haven't given up my optimism. I like to think that boys at high school are so derogatory, so disgusting in their habits and manners because they lack the finesse that education brings, and because they lack the crazy-stringent social conventions women must adhere to in primary school, they slack off, become arseholes, until several hookers and 'shock! horror! she rejected me! she rejected me!' moments jolt them back to reality. Or of those who are nice, they start seeing that pretty girls aren't always the right girls. That sort of thing. I like to think that despite everything, there are nice men out there who aren't trying to rape and pillage and plunder and rob us of our rights. And as nice as they are, men's rights are a little behind the ball too.

For example, victims of rape who are male are laughing stock, and I don't understand why. Sure, woman-on-man rape is a little hard to wrap our hands around, but it happens, and these poor souls hardly deserve to be laughed at - rape is a shameful experience as it is, and it's worse when a society doesn't take it easily. Men too can be victims of domestic violence, etc. Men are not always the macho characters imposed on them, the manly men they pretend to be. Men have vulnerabilities too, and instead of laughing at them we have to help them swallow their pride and let us help them, but as of yet that help is so far away. 

Human rights, men's rights, women's rights, children's rights - they're so behind time I often wonder what we boast of, as a world, as a nation. What is so good about being a woman in Australia? Nothing, only you're better off than the Burqa clad people in Afghanistan. But should our so called life of luxury be compared to such shocking standards as that? No! Just as I say that women's rights are so much behind men's rights, men's rights aren't too sunny either. We have no rights, that's what I'm saying, for both sexes. We live in an endless cycle of misconception, of wrong conclusions. Just because some people have it a whole lot worse doesn't mean that we can't have it a whole lot better. Everyone, regardless of sex, race, age, need better rights.We're too content with so little. Think about it, if we fought harder, we could achieve so much, for everyone.

I get so frustrated with the world. I want to meet men who can prove that the whole sex isn't as bad as I know them to be. I want to go to some nonexistant place of equality. I want to be things, see things, know things, to tell me that this world isn't as disappointing, as anticlimatic, as it seems to me now. I'm grateful for what I've got, but I'm so frustrated because I want, and deserve, so much more, as do we all.

No comments: