"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Thursday, August 02, 2012

the complete bullshit of privilege passes.

Now Playing: Wide Awake by Katy Perry (I was in the dark, I was falling hard with an open heart, how did I read the stars so wrong?)

A couple of days ago I got a little stapled up piece of paper (it was all very secret agent) in form telling me that I'd become eligible for a privilege pass, which is basically just a little card that gives you a little freedom. In theory.

To be honest, I don't know how I got that. I think last semester I wasn't eligible because I had lots of absences, but maybe admin finally realized that illness and trips to the hospital doesn't exactly qualify as serial truancy. My school attendance is otherwise pretty good, mostly because I have Asian parents and I'm far too chicken to simply walk out of school grounds (which I probably should have yesterday before the psychotic PE department dragged me bowling). But I'm pretty sure that to get a privilege pass you need something along the lines of 'satisfactory academic achievement' - which is a debatable concept, granted, but I'm pretty sure getting a snarky little comment from the (never been a principal before in her life bureaucrat) principal about how shit my Politics exam was doesn't qualify as 'satisfactory academic achievement'. But hey, it's just one of the many absurd idiosyncracies and hypocrisies of the school, like how I was kicked out of Sphinx Society for the two terms (and hopefully three) I've been top in English but was invited in the one term another person beat me to it.

I didn't bother applying. Mostly because tomorrow is the deadline, and suprise suprise, I'm under house arrest. But also...what's the point?

With a privilege pass, you can skip free periods - but only if they're first or last. I don't have any free periods, because I'm a good little nerd who takes six subjects (oh, the irony that it's the nerds who miss out). You can also leave during lunch...to do what? What exactly can you do in half an hour? Stand just outside the school gates singing niner-niner?

Sigh.

I've become very cynical of late. Maybe it's to do with the fact that I've had a more or less permanent headache since Saturday, or because I've grown up enough to see the random crap behind the sunshines and rainbows of life. Or maybe I am too smart for my own good; I think we all are. My dog Bella is a wonderful dumb blonde, and has a wonderful life.

I wonder if she'll swap places with me?   

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Using the tools of bureaucracy to transcend its limits...

In a way, a privilege pass penalises the nerds.

(Though even for a non-nerd, a free period is seldom ever free).

I would probably look for recreational/sport opportunities half an hour of the school in travel.

Or I would look for a river or creek to observe the changes in nature every week.

Some people might do Duke of Edinburgh/Outward Bound work or general leadership development.

Thinking of what Damon Young said about the book Wait. "The best workplaces give workers hours [me: not only a half hour, even though limited time has its virtues] to themselves, solving wicked problems". (the ones which have mutiple roots in psychology, sociology and many fields).

And you still have to apply for said pass?

Do whatever it takes for you to thrive and to do some good. Explore some co- or extra- curricular opportunity. Think of the good and you'll be smart...

The dark side of Confucian management! (And even Art of War-type tactics).

Finding a way to develop your art, craft or talent. For example: a writing workshop with younger students who are interested. Or a blogging workshop.

(Is Bella usually frisky at lunchtimes? What does she do when you're at school?)

* Damon Young book review of Partnoy's WAIT

In short: explore something new. Do something cool. Be fearless!