"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, August 19, 2012

yes, I'd be a terrible lawyer.

Now Playing: Lolita by The Veronicas (everywhere I turn I'm trapped in your heart)

Whenever I get into fights with boys (which is fairly often now) they always tell me 'you'd be a terrible lawyer'.

Yeah. Probably. Politics and Law is by far my worst subject. So what?

If you're Asian and really bad at maths (like me) other Asians try to console your parents by saying 'she can be a lawyer'. No. I was never going to be a lawyer.

It's not just because I'd do a terrible job of it and probably never get into law in university in the first place. It would be against my conscience, using my talents to defend people I know to be guilty, to fight people I sympathize with. I couldn't do it.

Boys complain that my arguments are too 'emotional' and...illogical. Gilligan's criticism of Kohlberg's theory of moral intelligence (you can tell that I just wrote a sociology essay recently lol) states that female moral development is based on compassion, on emotion, and Allan Pease states that women are psychology more developed than men at empathy and 'intuition' - the interpretation of verbal and body language. Male moral development, on the other hand, is based on principles of justice - rule of law.

There are sweeping generalistions, of course, but they are true to a certain extent. I don't pass judgements just based on empirical evidence - it's my main qualm with studying hard sciences. Emotional judgements can be somewhat irrational, but tempered with reasoning and education they are of greater depth than judgements made purely based on arbitrary laws and rules. Law is a man made construct, and is as flawed as mankind itself. There are exceptions to every rule - criminals who are not criminals at all, but victims. There are a wealth of things that are so undeniably and unquestionably wrong that are not 'illegal', but they should not go unpunished! We cannot only use our heads and not our hearts.

So when I argue, it is an emotional experience. Empathy, sympathy, passion, compassion...they're not weaknesses, they're strengths. Whack me over the head with a Bible, or the law, or science, or anything else you put blind faith into, but some things just need a little emotional intelligence, a little thought, a little compassion. A little instinct, or, dare I say it? Woman's intuition.


No comments: