A few weeks ago I was chatting to a friend and realized that, in ten years time, I'd be twenty-six and he'd be twenty-seven. In other words, freakishly close to thirty.
Thirty. Why does it keep popping up?
I suppose every young person is scared of hitting the big 3-0 and realizing that they have so many unfulfilled dreams. So, here is my list of 30 things to do before I'm 30. I will tick them off as I go along. Putting it on my blog will give me a little accountability, I hope.
I don't have huge money goals. I want enough to be comfortably well-off, and enough funds to perhaps start a family, but I don't really feel the need to drown in cash. I never have.
My goals at the moment are academic and personal. My academic goals are rather ambitious; my personal goals are a little more homey. But they work in sync with each other.
(This is in no particular order, by the way)
1. Graduate from high school and go to university
2. Get my PhD., hopefully from Oxford
3. Travel the world
4. Learn French and Korean
5. Publish a novel
6. Live and work in Korea and/or Singapore for a little while
8. First cocktail
9. Get married
10. Move to England (this is a rather whimsical dream that so many people roll their eyes at)
11. Become a mother and live my attachment-parenting dream
12. Learn to drive
13. Buy a house
14. Experiment with self sufficiency, 70's Britain style
15. Be in a theatre production of some sort
16. Release some kind of music in some form
17. Do an artistic collaboration of some sort
18. Publish a collection of poems
19. Write a screenplay for a film or short film
20. Probably won't be allowed to, but the mikveh sounds like a beautiful idea
22. Get a tattoo
23. Hit the big 3-0 completely no-poo since 16
24. Keep my blog going strong
25. Find some way that I would never have to have another heart surgery again
26. Do some meaningful charity work
27. Change the spelling of my name. It is actually driving me insane.
28. Actually do the 40 hour famine PROPERLY.
29. Go to a Taylor Swift, Kimbra, Paramore and One Direction concert.
30. Kiss someone on NYE!!!