"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Ditz.

You know what happens when you hang out with boys far too much and you're not a) a slut or b) a tomboy?

You become a ditz.

Seriously.

Male company seems to highlight anything girly, feminine and princessy about you. Around girls, I am considered pretty low maintanence with a strange but unrelated penchant for makeup and heels. But around boys, sometimes I feel like such a tool.


For example, I choose my shoes by colour. It's a girl thing. Shoes are primarily for decoration, with the added bonus of avoiding splinters. This principle was fine when I was shopping for ball shoes to match my ball dress, but boy, i got som weird looks from the guy in the Nike store when the first thing out of my mouth was 'MUM CAN I GET THE PURPLE ONES???'

...you may have gathered I don't do a lot of sport, so I don't care about impact or performance or whatever. The only shoes I have bought with a specific, functional purpose in mind were basketball boots. And even then, they were aesthetically pleasing.

And cars. Don't get me started on cars. The only comment I'll ever say about a car that drives pass is 'that would make a really cool nail polish/lipstick', which might sound like a weird comment until you realize that the really shiny metallic paint on cars look like makeup samples. Sorry if estrogen is warping my head.

Oh, and now that I'm sixteen and can technically drive (I actually can't drive anything bigger than a little electric car the size of a poodle) everyone's asking me what kind of car I want. I guess I have to think of a more intelligent answer than 'a red one...'

Actually, one of my male friends did tell me what car 'I should say I want', but, of course, I've forgotten it. 

Other things that boys kind of kick ass at - economics. I don't understand economics at all, and all of my friends - male, female, alien - seem to be in love with maths disguised as a social science.

I swear, I'm smart! And so not a princess.

But there is a spider on my computer...somebody please get rid?

No comments: