"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, April 13, 2012

the witching hour.

We are the metaphysical generation. Everything is virtual, in a different dimention.

Sensory experiences are old school. Anything that is anything happens with the patter of keyboards.

There is something I know as the witching hour. It's when all the fairies come out to play. It peaks in the early evening and endures long into the night. Waiting for this time is excruciating, and if you're not exhausted by the end of it, you feel a little empty afterwards; like that moment after a party when you don't want the night to end.

I love it. It's one long continuous moment of inception. Anything can happen.

Some people love the anonymity, the secrecy, of virtual reality. Some people like how you can have the most fascinating relationships with the most fascinating people but keep it hidden from the world, and break it off at a moment's notice when discretion is compromised. I love the freedom of these kinds of things, but with freedom comes vulnerability. It is so easy to forget, so easy to neglect something that, were it taking place in real time, would need some maintanence and effort.


It's the busiest time of my day, doing twenty things at once. I'm excellent at multitasking - I can make everyone feel like they're the centre of attention. They are. I just have twenty different points of attention and balancing them is easy. It's loud and crazy and you have this feeling like everything could collapse in a heartbeat, like if people start deciding that facebook is no longer cool (like they did to myspace and msn) or, God forbid, the internet dies...

But it's the silences that are the loudest. You never know what people are doing, on the other side of the wire, but you know when they're not there.

No comments: