"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

mon votre snob.

The thing about going to a school like mine...it's very hard just to be a normal, Taylor Swift, Jane Austen kind of girl with a little thing for Westlife or One Direction.

Don't get me wrong, I listen to stuff people have never heard of - Garfunkel and Oates or Dog Ears, anyone? - but I don't care if one or one billion people like them, it doesn't change the type of music that they make and I like. But I don't think anything is going to make mon votre snob come off his high horse and say that my taste in music is different, but equal. One day I swear I'll catch him listening to something embarassingly...normal...

There are two kinds of musical snobs. People who genuinely love the avant-garde, and the people who pretend to for the hell of it, and the second more than two people find out about a particular band BAM! it's no longer alternative enough. There's a difference between being unique and being a twat. 

We should never be ashamed of what or who we like. If you can't close your eyes and float away in bliss listening to the kind of music you claim to like, you're only fooling yourself. I'm not going to become anti-mainstream anytime soon, because I'm going to miss Fearless and Back to December. Real people don't make judgements.

No comments: