"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Friday, April 13, 2012

the endless frustration of no poo.

I've been going no-poo for a little while now, and I love it. My hair has never been better. It has this really nice shimmer unlike anything you can achieve with conditioners or serums.

This is what I do at the moment:
1. With dry hair, scritch (different to scratching, hard to explain) to clean scalp
2. In the shower, massage and scritch scalp with 1tsp bicarb soda to 250mls water in spray bottle
3. Rinse thoroughly

I used to use a vinegar rinse (1tbsp white vinegar to 250mls water) but I've found I can take it or leave it, the results are basically the same.

But now I am plagued by weird grey residue. I know it sounds gross, but it's not dirt, and it's not sebum. I have no idea what the hell it is. you can't really see it, you only really notice it if you run your fingers through.

Grrrr. I can't go to school with such manky hair. It's not oily and it's not dirty, but it's weird and waxy and me no likey. I want to keep doing no-poo, but I need help.

And I don't have hard water, I don't know why everyone blames the world's problems on hard water. 

Update: Sorry about my rather gross whinge. Will be trying a green tea rinse tomorrow. If it doesn't work I may cry. I love my hair.

Another update: It turns out that bicarb soda is far too alkaline for my hair (most shampoos are alkaline; another reason why they're BAAAAD for you). Hair is actually naturally acidic, and my hair in particular seems to really like acid. I don't need to put any oils or moisturizers or conditioners or anything in my hair (the only humectant I really use is honey) and my hair is silky smooth and poker straight. Happy. 

No comments: