"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Monday, September 10, 2012

Extra Special Fearless List

Now Playing: Old Man River by Ryan Bunney (happy birthday!) 

Need one of these...

Today was just one of those days.

Like, lots of good stuff.

And lots of bad stuff.

So. The Good Stuff.

1. Happy Birthday!

One of my best friends turned seventeen today, which seems...absurdly old in my baby brain. Happy Birthday! I love you to the moon and back.

2. 90% + 90% = Happy Lady Solitaire

I always thought that I was bad at oral presentations, but...my best Literature mark of the year so far was in an oral presentation. And it was a poetry reading. Which I flunked epically in the exam. I don't know. What is happening.

I'm very open about being teacher's pet - as in I maintain an open dialogue, even a friendship with my teachers. For one of our essays in English I conveniently got very sick for most of the working time, and was only well enough to put some serious grunt into it after the 'helpdesk' closed (teachers help via email and in person up to either 48 or 72 hours before the deadline) and I didn't want to apply for an extension. I got it back and it was...eh, meh...and I knew I could do better and that I was unfairly disadvantaged because of my illness. So I got a second chance, polished it up something shiny and voila! Back on mah average!

3. The nice bus driver

...Yes, I'm one of those noobs who says 'Morning!' and 'Thank you!' to the bus driver to and from school in what could possibly be interpreted as a bubbly, annoyingly cheerful sorority voice.

BUUT, because Perth is so ridiculously small and my bus route is a relatively infrequent one that takes a relatively tame route around some relatively tame suburbs, there are only about two or three bus drivers that drive the buses I'm on. And because I take the bus every day, ya know...we recognise faces.

So today I had one of those awful moments where you GET OUT OF THE TRAIN STATION AND SEE YOUR BUS AT THE STOP AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG IT'S BEEN THERE AND IT MIGHT CLOSE THE DOORS AND DRIVE OFF WITHOUT YOU AT ANY MOMENT AND OH SHIT THE DOORS CLOSED SHIT SHIT SHIT.

The driver saw me, smiled, and the doors magically opened. I felt like Darth Vader with the Force.

Woohoo!

4. Mah Coke. 

I get sugar lows.

My mother and I have hypoglycemia, which is kind of a bit like diabetes. Occasionally I get very faint and dizzy and I NEED sugar or I'll get very weak and eventually pass out. It can happen randomly, but normally happens when I'm tired or stressed or haven't been eating well.

So I bought myself a Coke.

I didn't used to like Coke...but now I do...

I'm actually quite a sentimental person. I associate objects with moments in my life that were cute and bubbly. So there was this one time one of my guyfriends bought me a Coke and now Coke tastes really good...

:P

5. BIG CHOICES DUDE

So I decided today that, at some point, I want to be a peer sex educator like my new role model Laci Green.

The problem with institutionalized healthcare (and believe me, I'm a hospital baby, I know) is that it is very...intimidating. Men in white coats are just intimidating, as proven by the Maslowe experiment on obedience and conformity. Secondly, institutionalized healthcare is heavily influenced by social codes of morality (there is NOTHING immoral about the human body), by the pressure on religious groups to with hold information about safe sex (abstinence education promotes nothing but STIs, unwanted pregnancies and unnecessary guilt towards sexual activity and the natural biological function of men and women) and don't often touch taboo topics.

Peer sex educators are members of the community who are open about their lack of qualifications BUT are willing to provide unbiased, confidential (if desired) advice and information about sex and sexual health. Laci Green is NOT a doctor, but anyone can teach basic anatomy and dispel urban myths in an unbiased, open, sex-positive way. Oh, yeah, anyone except, ya know...religious leaders and medical practitioners...

There are a few peer sex educators out there - Laci Green and Hannah Girasol are the ones that I know about. Next year when I'm in uni I'm going to look into becoming an online peer sex educator, because sex positivity is something that is really important to me and I reject the 'need' for 'society' or 'religion' to suppress sexuality, especially female sexuality/alternate sexual orientations/alternate gender identities.

And as usual I have no idea why I have so much to say about sex.

ILY!

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Poetry readings are awesomesauce and give you a buzz.

Bus drivers ... especially on small routes. Read Riding the bus with my sister and you might see what I mean. (Bus drivers seem to have potential as undeveloped philosophers).

Peer educators - for everything! - are important, because it's great to have someone who's there. And the institutionalisation of healthcare.

Several experiments into obedience and conformity. Maslow did human needs (being and deficit needs). Stanley Milgram and his obedience experiment have been covered, as has the Stanford Prison Project (by Zimbardo).

And Asch did conformity with lines. "This line is longer". "No, that line is longer". "Okay, I'll go there!"

There is also a book about Australian executions of the Milgram experiment in the 1970s and how it affected the burgeoning generation of psychologists and psychiatrists.