"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Wordless Wednesday: The Hairy Taboo

Now Playing: Eyes Open by Taylor Swift (everybody's waiting for you to break down)

Hairlessness for women has been a main feature in art, with art critic John Ruskin famously putting off consummating his marriage because he was offended by pubic hair and menstrual blood and that he had 'imagined women to be quite different to what he saw [Effie Gray, his wife] was'. Although studies have shown that 80% of women prefer men without body hair, and men without body hair have become the new popular culture norm (i.e. actors and models), the pressure is on GIRLS to wax pluck and shave every hair from the eyebrows down. And this is probably why:

(my html skills are not the greatest. Click on the image to enlarge.)

(image credit: Laci Green's Tumblr)

Also, I just realized that someone like me really can't write 'wordless' Wordless Wednesday posts. ILY!

No comments: