"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Saturday, September 08, 2012

the L-word.

Now Playing: Ronan by Taylor Swift (I love you to the moon and back)

If you ask me the one thing that someone's said to me that has stayed with me, it's my mother telling me every day: no matter what happens, I will always love you.

It's the main reason why my mother and I are so very close, even now - beyond the hugs and the conversations. Because it didn't matter if we screamed at each other or wouldn't talk for days - I remember repeating those words over and over as I cried myself to sleep. I have never for a second doubted it, and I have spent much of my life trying to recreate that kind of security for a rainy day.

Some people think that love is like a cake - once you give some away you'll never get it back and it's lost on you forever. Some people think that love is tainted, spoiled, goes rancid if you offer it too many times.

I disagree.

Love is about learning. Love grows, every time you love someone. Loving people fills you up and keeps you going even when times get tough.

I don't have super complicated criteria and extra complicated rules and deadlines and blah blah. I have dealbreakers, and that's about it. I love people who make me laugh. I love people who are smart and funny. I love people who love hugs. I love people who sparkle. I love smart people who like to talk.

I have been so hurt by so many people, let down so many times, pushed around, bullied, manipulated...sometimes all it takes for me to love someone is for someone to be nice to me, to be sincere, to give a damn whether I live or die. I love people who put their arms around me and ask if I'm okay.

 There are five languages of love - physical touch, words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts and acts of service. My language of love is definitely physical touch - I love hugs, I love holding hands, I love kisses, I love 'the move'. I love having toddlers on my hip and babies in my arms. I love the warmth and comfort and sincerity of physical contact, of close proximity, of hearing jagged breath and wild heartbeats.

I guess loving so many people and saying the l-word a lot might make me sound insincere or too intense, but please don't take it that way. Love, for me, is just...it's anything. It's different for anyone. But please believe me when I say it...I love you. I love you to the moon and back, and I'd do anything for you.

No comments: