"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, September 09, 2012

my genetic deformities are pretty?

Now Playing: Ronan by Taylor Swift (and what if I really thought some miracle would see us through?)

Even when I was nearly overweight I've always had 'nice legs'. Apparently.

What if I told you that my 'nice legs' are the result of a genetic deformity?

There is something that runs in my dad's family called bunionettes, which is an inflammation of the fifth metatarsal bone at the base of the little toe, and is caused by faulty mechanical structure of the foot. Most of my grandfather's blood relatives have it, including my dad, my sister and I.

So what does it mean? Not much. The soles of my feet are a little thicker than normal, and I have to wear orthotics in my shoes (if you see me hobbling around in heels it's because you can't put orthotics in heeled shoes and my arches are collapsing -  the things I do to try and make myself better than 5'3"). My feet and calves cramp up really easily. My gait is a little strange, too - my left foot always brushes past my right heel and ankle, so there are always white streaks on the ankles of my tights and there's a tiny hole on my Converses.

But it also means that my calf muscles are very tight - hence the 'nice legs', I suppose. My podiatrist is constantly bugging me to do these really painful and annoying stretches, but to be perfectly honest...I'm secretly scared I'll lose my nice legs if I do them religiously. Superficial, much? But it's true. My calves are the only parts of my body that are nice and toned, even if walking long distances is hard - I can feel my muscles seizing up, all the time, and everyone thinks I'm just being 'lazy'.

So there you go. Prettiness...has weird origins.

No comments: