"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, September 16, 2012

I didn't always want to be a writer.

Now Playing: Hall of Fame by The Script ft. will.i.am (do it for your people, do it for your pride, you're never gonna know if you never gonna try)

I remember when I was four my mother bought me a copy of the first Harry Potter book and I was riveted. I could read very well by about three years old, but obviously innocence and inexperience probably meant I didn't understand half of the words I greedily devoured. It didn't matter. I didn't care. I decided, then and there, that I was going to be a writer.

I couldn't write properly and coherently until I was about seven years old. I could read but I didn't make the connection between the scribbles grown-ups made to the neatly typed words on the book pages. I could write at about five years old, but backwards - Leonardo da Vinci style, and not in a way that was an efficient means of dictating my thoughts. Even now I prefer typing - I learnt to touch type when I was eight.

I've always daydreamed. I've always thought up stories and characters. I talk to myself a lot. I've started countless novels that I've never finished. And I'm always reading.

But I didn't always want to be a writer.

When I was about ten, I decided I was going to become an actress. A real, proper, Hollywood actress. I saw glamorous women on the red carpet and decided that that was what I wanted to be.

I didn't get a buzz out of acting. I half heartedly complained that my mother never sent me to drama school but I always knew that if I really wanted to I would make my own way with or without my parents' endorsement. I just wanted the attention. I just wanted to be pretty. I was young and silly and insecure and I bought into the beauty myth - that I would only be worth anything or get any attention if I were beautiful.

It was only when I got to high school that I rekindled my love of writing, to live and breathe my art.

And now I'm excited. I'm excited for what the future holds. I may never strut it down the red carpet; I may never be beautiful. But when I die people will know my name. I will make sure of that.


No comments: