"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cut.

Now Playing: Hallelujah by Kate Voegele (it's not a cry you can hear at night, it's not somebody who's seen the light, it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah)

A really clever and powerful advertisement by Women's Aid, a British charitable organization to raise awareness and money for victims of domestic abuse against women and children.


Domestic abuse isn't part of the deal in relationships. It's not part of any marriage contract. Every day women from all across the globe, in every sector of society, are abused and discriminated against. 1 in every 4 women experience domestic violence, 75% of sexually abused children are female and every week 2 women die in the UK at the hands of a current or former partner.

Incidentally, this ad was censored by British television, as the final scene was considered too confronting, even for the post-watershed audience. Are you kidding me? I've watched post-watershed tv, and if they can handle that, they can handle anything. Besides, how can we censor what is such important information and what is, essentially, the truth? This stuff happens, completely real and uncensored for some people, and we're not even allowed to tell the world about it. 

I know people keep saying that feminism is out of touch and irrelevant to the here and now and that I'm wasting my time, but I know I am not. And this is why.


I am not endorsed by or affiliated with Women's Aid.   

No comments: