"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, June 05, 2012

offensive? really?

Now Playing: You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift (I know your favourite songs and you tell me about your dreams, think I know where you belong, think I know it's with me...)

I'm sure you've all read my mother's opinions of Coldplay's Princess of China. ;P

Which I love, by the way, because I love Coldplay and I love Rihanna and I think that it all works really well. That being said, I have been told by numerous people that I have rather...interesting taste in music. I've been waiting for this music video for ages.

I've always found it fascinating how people can genuinely take umbrage at...pretty much anything. I for one thought that the music video was really cool; I love the Oriental influence, the kung fu geisha elements that are, true, anachronistic, but make for a wicked visual experience. It's not a history documentary, people! I really don't see the music video as offensive at all. Yes, the random arm thingy is not Chinese, Rihanna's not Chinese, Chris Martin's not Chinese, and it is Princess of China...but I'm an artist. It all makes sense in my head.

I remember it got to a point when you genuinely couldn't say anything - like, please pass the black shirt - without being accused of being racist. I'm Asian! I know about racism! Trust me! But sometimes we take things to the point of ridiculous. 

A PC world would be boring. Now is not the time to make a Mac joke. 



No comments: