"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Sunday, June 03, 2012

Sprezzatura

Now Playing: Never Let Me Go by Florence + The Machine (and it's over, I'm going under, but I'm not giving up, I'm just giving in)

Nonchalance. Careful carelessness.

It's an essential part of society, isn't it, sprezzatura? The ability to hide everything one might feel or believe.

Why is it such a valued trait? It always has been, from the medieval courts of Europe to the petty playground politics of high school. It's not something I personally admire in someone; I much more prefer intensity, passion, vulnerability. Why hide what makes us beautiful with sprezzatura?


No comments: