"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Big World

Now Playing: 'Cameo Lover' by Kimbra

It's a big world, you know.

Schools would love you to think that the only things that matter in this world is the number on your essays, and what university you're going to go to next year. In primary school, all that counted was the colour of the ribbon you were going to win, or whether or not you handed in your spelling homework.

Why has nobody ever stepped back and realized that, in the grand scheme of things, none of this matters?

It is easy to get caught up in the small-mindedness of the enigma of school. God knows how many panic attacks I've had because of that. It's only when I step back and realize that it's all okay, everythings okay, all is as it should be, that I can find tranquility.

I never handed in my year seven reading homework. So shoot me. It's hardly going to be the headline on gossip magazines.

We are so small, so insignificant. Our problems are so insignificant. Why is our reaction always completely disproportionate to the problem at hand?



No comments: