"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Saturday, May 05, 2012

I'm not as clueless as you think.

Now Playing: 'Renegade' by Paramore

1. Men aren't as uncomplicated as people let on. They have problems, it's just whether or not they trust you enough to tell you.

2. Men have very different ideas of what is and isn't innocent, what is and isn't cheating, and what is and isn't okay.

3. I love how men can be so uncomfortably, heartbreakingly honest. Which is why lack of honesty and sincerity is heartbreaking in guys. You kind of get used to it when you're around girls, but I always used to count on guys telling it how it is. Sounds sexist, but it's true.

4. I don't entirely understand women who think that men should like them for no apparent reason. I mean, as much as I think that love is unconditional and, for the most part, largely irrational, I also don't see what's wrong with loving that someone is beautiful, intelligent, rich, creative, socially elite, whatever - it's part of who you are, and it shouldn't be the sole cause of affection, but what's wrong with it being a contributing factor?

5. The smart men eventually realize that Aspasia is far more desirable than a pretty face with social status and no brain. At the moment the teenage boys I know are trying to have both and will eventually end up with neither.

6. Men are, possibly, even more insecure than women.

7. They constantly swap from being condescending to deferential, depending on the topic of conversation and who's witnessing. It's a mindfuck, but you get used to it.

8. You have to be a patient friend, but they'll always abuse endless patience. You have to kick a fuss occasionally to remind them that you have feelings and opinions and are perfectly capable of walking away.

9. That being said, most guys aren't intentionally malicious, just a little tactless. You have to *tell* them what's bothering you, because they won't be able to guess even the most obvious. You can't worry about being whiney if your feelings are at stake.

10. Be very, very wary of men who seem to be perfectly practicised in the art of apology. A sincere apology is one thing, but if they know every little nuance of the most perfect 'sorry' then they have had lots of opportunity to practice.

11. It doesn't matter if you like them or not, or if you're not supposed to like them. A compliment always fills me with that warm fuzzy feeling.

12. I love hedonistic, indulgent, worry-about-the-consequences-later kind of relationships. As girly and innocent as I am I feel like I have that in common with a lot of boys I know, as opposed to the girls I know. It takes confidence (and a great deal of stupidity) to start something when you're not entirely sure if and when and how things will end.

13. The year twelve ball taught me that as flattering as it is to have a man on your arm and boys pretending that you're a great deal shorter than 5'3" in heels (if you get what I'm saying) the best part about being young isn't about boys or male attention; it's letting your hair down and living up to girls just wanna have fun.

14. Of all my friends I am probably the loudest, most flirtatious, and the most boy crazy. Which is weird because I'm also the youngest, geekiest and nerdiest. It's a weird combination, but talk nerdy to me, baby.

15. The amount of attention you get when you turn sixteen is appalling. Just saying. I have a few weird emails about that.

16. Confidence is your ultimate trump card - not just about boys, but about life, love, academia, friendships, job prospects; anything, really.

No comments: