"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, May 09, 2012

New iPod. Is Pink. Much Love.

Now Playing: 'On the Street Where You Live' from My Fair Lady

My iPod died a few weeks ago. After what seems like an eternity of wrestling my iPod to behave, enduring countless people unplugging my earphones and metaphorically marooning me on a desert island of silence, I have a PINK iPOD. OMG.

Obviously, my male friends have given me a little bit of crap for that.

My favourite colour used to be purple. I used to go ape shit over purple. If I saw something purple I'd get that kind of stomach turning, shivers-down-the spine thing that now I've come to associate with hugs, intelligent conversation, flirting, six packs, boys in general, heart shaped lips and falling in love. Overreaction much, you may think, but hey, back in the day if a man caught sight of a lady's ankles it was considered deliciously rique. Innocence makes everything exciting.

My favourite colour changed to red at some point. I love the boldness of red. I love how it's good and evil, comfort and danger, masculine and feminine. Enigmatic.

I used to be very anti pink. I don't know why I like pink now. As in, I don't wear head to toe pink and I'm definitely more red lipstick than pink gloss, but I love the prettiness and femininity of pink. Then again, I used to be very anti-boys (gotta love the boygerms stage) but obviously the tables have turned on that, too...

It's fascinating how taste in music changes over time. And I have different phases, too.I was huge into Taylor Swift for a long time, and Paramore, and then I fell in love with Kimbra and all her wacky wonderful weirdness. And I've loved Coldplay since I stumbled across Viva la Vida about two years too late (as you do), but it's only been relatively recently that I dug through some of their old stuff to find a few things I like. I think I only have five complete albums; all of Taylor Swift plus the Deluxe Edition of Speak Now and LeftRightLeftRightLeft, which is Coldplay's free live album thingo. I remember back in the day when you would put on a record (okay, I don't remember that far back), or a CD, and listen to the whole thing from beginning to end, but I don't think we have that kind of allegiance or dedication in music anymore. I mean, I don't see music in terms of albums anymore; just artists, really. I have 60 Taylor Swift songs and 33 Coldplay songs and once you click shuffle it's like one continuous experience. I love how modern technology really lets you mix and match with music. I've got everything from Britney Spears to Danse Macabre.

There are some people who treat music much like we treat fashion - nothing's 'good' or 'bad' just 'in' and 'out'. And I do that, to a certain extent - I have heaps and heaps of miscellaneous pop songs that I just found rather catchy. But good music is good music whether it was made yesterday or fifty years ago, don't you think? You can't think of music as being in season, old fashioned or timeless classics. I can't, anyway.

I know there plenty of musical snobs who think that they're somehow more enlightened than I am because they listen to things nobody has ever heard of. But that's okay. My music is me.








No comments: