"I don't think that being a strong person is about ignoring your emotions and fighting your feelings. Putting on a brave face doesn't mean you're a brave person. That's why everybody in my life knows everything that I'm going through. I can't hide anything from them. People need to realise that being open isn't the same as being weak."

- Taylor Swift

Wednesday, May 09, 2012

The most important thing I've ever learned.

Now Playing: 'All I Ask of You' from The Phantom of the Opera 

One of the most important things that I've learned is learning to accept compliments graciously.

When I was younger I was taught - by society - to immediately dispute any compliment. Pretty? I look like a troll. Good at writing? Jesus, this is nothing. Talented at piano? I'm no prodigy.

Which, I thought, was pretty standard. But now I know, from experience, that when you pay someone a compliment the best thing in return is a gracious answer. A smile, a nod, a thank you, a compliment in return.

Easy.

And since learning this, I've learned to really find joy in even the smallest compliment. Too often we take umbrage at compliments, because we feel like we're forced to deny something, or heap favours onto someone. Why are we so scared of our natural gifts? It's not a crime to be good at something, or to look a certain way. And if somebody notices, then, well, isn't that a good thing?

I don't know. Nothing melts my heart more than flattery; which is bad, I know. But a little compliment never did anybody any harm. Especially if you know how to handle it.

No comments: